We can provide advice and assistance to people who have a right to reside in the UK through EU free movement rights.
Since the referendum on membership of the EU there has been great uncertainty for EU/EEA nationals in the UK and British citizens in the rest of the EU.
For at least as long as the UK remains in the EU, European and UK law will continue to provide rights of free movement for all EU/EEA nationals and their family members.
EU nationals and their family members are now required to apply for settled or pre settled status via the EU settlement scheme the government launched this year.
Applications via this scheme must be made by 30 June 2021 or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
EEA nationals and their family members must have been continuously resident in the UK for at least 5 years in order to qualify for settled status. If you have been in the UK for less than 5 years you will be granted pre-settled status for 5 years and will be expected to apply for settled status once you qualify.
Close family members of EEA nationals such as spouses, children under 21, dependent grandchildren, dependent parents and dependent grandparents, are able to apply for an EU Settlement scheme family permit from outside the UK in order to gain entry.
Extended family members from outside the EU, including non-married partners, must still apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK via the current regulations and once in the UK they must apply for pre-settled status.
We can help with:
- Advice about residence rights
- Applications for proof of Permanent Residence
- Applications via the EU settlement scheme
- Residence Card applications
- Family Permits and EU Settlement scheme family permits
- Applications for members of UK nationals who have lived in another EU country (“Surinder Singh” cases)
- Derivative rights applications including for carers of British citizens
- British Citizenship and passport applications including for children
If you would like an informal discussion about your own situation then please contact us